Add warmth and earthiness to your home with a chic brown rug
Our sumptuous collection of brown rugs is designed to bring cosy, earthy warmth to any room — they’re the perfect balance of luxury and comfort!
An effortlessly chic choice, brown rugs work with almost any interior design thanks to the subtle, neutral hue. Their versatility makes brown rugs one of the most popular choices for homeowners and interior designers alike — choose from dark brown rugs with a patterned retro feel or simple, solid-coloured rugs made from statement leather or deep shag pile wool.
The opportunities are endless with Rug.com.au! Browse through the biggest and best collection of brown rugs Australia has to offer, and shop online for fast and free shipping for orders over $300.
The rich history of the colour brown
The term “brown” comes from Old English “brún”, meaning any dusky, dark shade of colour. Around the world, the colour brown comes from foods and beverages — in the eastern Mediterranean, the word for brown comes from the colour of coffee. In Southeast Asia, the colour comes from chocolate, and in Japan, “chairo” refers to the colour of tea.
However, the colour brown has been around longer than you’d think. Brown has been the primary colour used in art since prehistoric times! Paintings using umber, a natural clay pigment made of iron oxide and manganese oxide, have been dated back to 40,000BC. Likewise, female figures in ancient Egyptian tomb paintings have brown skin painted with umber.
Ancient Greeks and Romans also produced a fine reddish-brown ink called “sepia” from cuttlefish ink. Artists like Leonardo da Vinci and Raphael used this colour in their paintings during the Renaissance.
Besides its rich history, brown has many positive connotations. All colours come with “psychology”, i.e. feelings and qualities they’re often associated with, and brown has some best.
- A sense of strength and reliability. Brown is typically seen as solid as the earth, and it’s a colour that’s often associated with resilience, dependability and safety.
- Feelings of warmth, comfort and security. Brown is frequently described as natural, down-to-earth and conventional, but it can also be seen as sophisticated — as you’ll see in our brown rug collection!
- Feng shui (harmonising your environment). Each colour is linked to a specific feng shui element. Brown often represents wood if it’s dark or earth if it’s a lighter shade. Although the colour brown has an energetic, nurturing quality, feng shui principles suggest using brown sparingly while decorating and should be well-balanced with other colours to avoid a lack of ambition and drive. Blue is considered a good colour to combine with brown due to the earth/water harmony.
Browse through our collection of earthy brown rugs and check out online for free shipping on orders over $300. We also offer convenient payment options like Zippay, Zipmoney and Afterpay!
How to style a brown rug
There's no need to fear brown rugs! Brown is a versatile colour that works well in almost any space. Here are some tips on how to style a chic brown rug:
- Use it as a base — A brown rug can be the perfect foundation for your living room or bedroom. It provides a warm, earthy base that can be dressed up or down with timber furniture and metallic finishes.
- Pair it with other earth tones — Brown rugs look incredible paired with other earth tones like blue, green, tan and ivory. This creates a natural and inviting vibe in any space.
- Add a pop of colour — Don't be afraid to add some personality to your space with a pop of vibrant colour. A brown rug can provide a neutral backdrop for brighter hues like pink, orange and blue.
- Introduce texture — Texture is key when it comes to brown rugs. Look for rugs made from natural fibres like wool or jute for an added touch of warmth and sophistication.
- Keep it simple — Sometimes less is more. If you're going for a more minimalist look, stick to a brown rug with a simple design, avoiding “loud” patterns or overly busy designs.
With these tips in mind, you can easily incorporate a brown rug into any space. Whether you're looking for a warm foundation or a pop of personality, brown rugs are the perfect solution!
Brown rug materials for next-level texture
Not sure which material is right for your brown rug? Below, we’ve created a quick guide to our various different materials and how they can add style, texture and functionality to your home.
- Cotton — Cotton rugs are durable and easy to care for, making them a great choice for high-traffic areas in your home. They're also hypoallergenic and anti-static, so they won't attract dust or trigger allergies. Plus, cotton is a natural fibre that's eco-friendly and biodegradable!
- Jute & sisal — Jute rugs are perfect for adding a natural, bohemian atmosphere to your home. They’re also extremely durable and easy to care for, making them ideal for busy areas like living rooms and hallways.
- Leather — Leather rugs are available in many styles to suit any decor, from traditional to contemporary. Thanks to their tough construction and durability, these rugs are also ideal for homes with pets.
- Wool — Wool is naturally stain-resistant and repels dirt and dust, making it the ideal material for high traffic areas in your home. Plus, brown wool rugs are also hypoallergenic and eco-friendly, making them a great choice for homes with pets or children.
- Synthetic — Synthetic rugs are often more durable than natural fibre rugs — plus, they’re easier to clean and care for and are often more affordable than natural fibre rugs.
Shop neutral brown rugs online with Rug.com.au!
Whether you're looking for a soft, neutral rug or a striking dark brown affair, you’re guaranteed to find a stunning, affordable solution online at Rug.com.au. Add a tan shag rug to your living room or a deep brown rug to your bedroom floor — the opportunities are endless with our range of earthy brown rugs.
Shop the range online today. We offer flexible payment options, including Zippay and Afterpay, so you can enhance the interior design of your home now and pay later. Plus, we offer fast and free shipping on all orders over $300 (terms and conditions apply).
Who said you had to leave your house to find the home decor additions of your dreams? Shop now!