Nothing says ‘cosy’ like a beautifully soft shag pile rug
Get cosy with our shag and fluffy rugs - available in a wide range of colours to suit every home. There’s nothing quite so indulgent as a soft, fluffy shag pile rug. Taking off your shoes after a long day and running your tired feet through the cosy, soft pile of your favourite shag rug will always put a smile on your face.
Whether you're looking for a vibrant red or blue piece to suit your punchy sense of style, or you'd prefer a neutral black, grey, or brown shag rug to complement your home decor, we've got the perfect fluffy rug to suit your needs. Our stylish and unique shag rugs will add warmth and comfort to your living room or a burst of unique colour to your bedroom.
Alternatively, add a shag pile rug to your foyer to welcome guests - they're highly durable for day-to-day foot traffic and feel exquisite under your feet. Nothing says “welcome home” like a deliciously soft rug underfoot.
A brief history of shag rugs
While shag rugs experienced a massive surge in popularity during the 1960s and 70s, they actually date back to far earlier origins. In Ancient Greece, the original shag rugs were Flokati rugs, a luxurious shag pile rug style still in high demand today. Hand fashioned from long strands of goat hair, these rugs gained in popularity and made their way to the Middle East, becoming the rug of choice in royal palaces.
In the cultural revolution of the 1960s and 70s interior design became all about unconventional, quirky and expressive pieces, and bold shag rugs became synonymous with 1960s and 70s culture during this period. By the 1980s conservative, country-style decor was coming back in vogue and shag rugs faded from the spotlight.
Nowadays shag rugs are once again a style staple, with modern production techniques and materials making them more accessible, durable and versatile than ever. Shag rugs are now available in wool, leather, acrylic, polyester and a range of other materials in every imaginable colour, style and pattern.
Find the perfect fluffy rug for your home
There’s nothing cosier than putting your feet onto a soft, luxuriant shag pile rug when you get out of bed in the morning. Shag rugs make the ultimate bedroom rugs but are also well suited to loungerooms, and transitional spaces – anywhere you and your guests can kick your shoes off and enjoy!
Our soft fluffy rugs are perfect for your decor and ultimate comfort. If you love stretching out on the floor after a long day, a fluffy rug will be a comfy, cosy addition to your living room or bedroom floor. Just turn on the television, lie down on your soft, fluffy rug, and get comfortable for a relaxing night-in. You'll have a comfy place to stretch and lounge about, while also looking stylish when you have visitors.
The ultimate combination of stylish and indulgently soft, a shag pile rug is the perfect finishing touch to make a room cosy and inviting. Available in styles from subtle natural colours to cookie-monster blue, there is a style of shag rug to suit even the most vibrant décor theme. Plain or patterned, subtle or bold you will find what you’re looking for among our fantastic range of shag rugs.
Whether a natural-toned faux sheepskin, a bold fluffy red rug or a striking modern patterned shag rug, there’s a fluffy rug to suit you just waiting to be found! Alternatively, if you've got a little one, you might like a fluffy rug for tummy time. Super soft for your little one's comfort, they'll have fun playing with the fibres and zooming around the living room as they gain independence.
Shag pile rugs to suit any style
At Rug.com.au we’ve curated a stunning collection of modern, stylish shad rugs to suit a range of home decor styles. It’s our mission to make home decoration easy and accessible for everyone, with shag rugs available from just $59.
If your home has a modern, neutral aesthetic you may like to choose a grey-toned shag rug like the Acuto rectangular shag rug which comes in a selection of on-trend grey shades from grey-white through to charcoal. Perfect styled with other grey-toned furniture and fixtures or as a neutral backdrop for statement home decor pieces.
If you’re looking to bring back the bold, psychedelic style of the 60s and 70s, the Logan Modern Wavy Shaggy Rug is an excellent choice. This rug comes in bold crimson red, calming turquoise blue, warm brown and neutral grey.
For gorgeous on-trend styling, the Max Plain Shaggy Rug is the ultimate choice. This rectangular rug comes in a range of right up to the minute colours including blush pink, soft turquoise, grey, navy, cream, beige and charcoal. This rug’s soft synthetic fibres feel amazing underfoot and make cleaning a breeze and the beautiful soft colour palette of this range can be styled with a wide range of current decor trends including boho, Hamptons and shabby chic.
Caring for your shag pile rug
Shag rugs require the same care and attention as other types of rug. The long, shaggy fibres of the rug can pose a little extra challenge but with regular attention, your shag pile rug will serve you for years to come. Here are the steps to follow when caring for your shag pile rug:
- Loosen the dirt and debris in your rug — Thanks to their long fibres, shag pile rugs can harbour a large amount of dirt and dust. To combat this, simply take your rug outside and give it a good shake every month or two. If your rug is too large or cumbersome to shake, hang it over a railing or clothesline and beat it with a broom or similar item to loosen the debris.
- Leave your rug out to air in the sunshine — Place your shag rug in a dry spot in direct sunlight for a couple of hours to help kill dust mite and bacteria.
- Vacuum — vacuum your shag rug regularly as needed. If your rug is subjected to heavy traffic every day from children or pets we recommend daily vacuuming, however, if your rug is rarely walked on then once a week or even once a month will be sufficient. Be sure to set your vacuum cleaner head to its “high pile” setting if it has one as this will make vacuuming easier and ensure more dirt is picked up. Vacuum the reverse side of your shag rug once a month or as needed to remove as much dirt as possible.
- Dry Shampooing — to give your shag rug an extra boost an occasional dry shampooing is suitable. Follow the instructions on your dry shampoo label, working the shampoo into the rug and allowing it to sit for the required amount of time to make your rug fresh and clean. Make sure to thoroughly vacuum out the granules.
- Cleaning spills — soak up spills immediately using an absorbent cloth such as a face cloth or paper towel. Be sure to use a white or light-coloured cloth that won’t accidentally stain your rug. Once you’ve absorbed as much of the spill as you can use a damp cloth to gently dab at the spill.
- Professional cleaning — for an occasional extra-deep clean bring in the experts. A professional cleaner can use advanced techniques to remove stains, dirt, dust and debris and leave your rug looking and feeling like new.
Add cosiness and comfort to your home with a shag pile rug
Shop cheap shag rugs online with Rug.com.au!
Whether you're looking for a soft, fluffy rug to laze around on in front of the television or a vibrant statement piece to wow your guests, you're sure to find the perfect shag rug online with Rug.com.au. Nothing says ‘cosy’ like a soft, fluffy shag pile rug.
With prices starting under $50 we’ve got gorgeous cheap shag rugs to suit every budget. We offer flexible payment options like Zippay and Afterpay, plus free shipping on orders over $300 (terms and conditions apply). Upgrade your home decor today with a shag pile rug!