Add some interest to your home with a stylish round rug
Looking for something different to decorate your home? Round rugs are always in vogue and a refreshing alternative to standard rectangular rugs. Capable of turning a boring old space into a contemporary haven, round rugs can be the focal point of the room and a real talking point with guests.
At Rug.com.au, we have hundreds of round rugs in stock designed with stylish colours and patterns, so you can add your own personal touch to the space. From traditional rugs to florals and geometric patterns, we have round rugs for everyone’s sense of style.
Browse through our collection of rugs in stock today! We offer fast and free shipping on orders over $300 as well as flexible payment options like Zippay and Afterpay.
Why choose a round rug for your home
A round rug is more than just decorative — the shape can actually have a positive effect on your mood! Chi (energy flow) moves in a circular motion. Round rugs allow the Chi to flow freely through the space, creating great Feng Shui in your home. Plus, round shapes tend to symbolise union, infinity and authority, so a round rug can add grandeur and harmony to an otherwise uneventful space.
As well as looking unique and stylish, round rugs come with a huge range of other benefits! For example, round rugs can soften and deepen any space — surrounded by rectangular objects, walls and furniture, a round rug can cleverly soften the space and make it feel more intimate and personal. Plus, a round rug can make a small space look much bigger — the room will seem more open, bright and airy while softening the harder edges of your furniture.
If you’re looking to add more interest to an open-plan space, consider mixing and matching with both round rugs and rectangular rugs. In the living room, for example, you might put the coffee table on a large rectangular rug and place a smaller round rug under a single armchair. Your rug will naturally highlight the space.
For spaces with lots of curved architectural details, add a round rug to pull the overall feeling of the room together and underscore the room’s curves, making them an even more notable design feature.
Where to place a round rug
If you’re new to decorating with round rugs, you might be wondering where to place them and how to decorate with them. Here, we’ve put together a quick guide to decorating with round rugs in any room.
Round rugs in the living room
- Use your round rug to draw attention — if you have an open-plan space, a large circle rug can help define the area and create a vignette or focal point. Place your rugs under the furniture you want to draw attention to e.g. the coffee table.
- Let the furniture sit on the perimeter of the rug — in an open-place setting, a large round rug can add definition to the area and create a sense of intimacy. Set your coffee table in the centre of the rug and place the couches around the perimeter of the rug.
Round rugs in the dining room
- Opt for a large rug — Round rugs look amazing under a dining table, but it’s important to make sure your rug is big enough so that the chair legs don’t get tripped up on the rug. Your chairs should be able to move freely to and from the dining room table.
- Choose a round dining table — You can complement your round dining setting by placing a round rug underneath, adding cohesion and style to your dining area. Square or rectangular tables can also look great with a round rug but a round dining table will create an enhanced sense of symmetry.
- Keep the rug away from the walls — A round rug looks best if it floats in the middle of the room, not touching the walls. As a general rule of thumb with any rug, you want to leave a border of at least 10cm between the edges of your rug and your walls, but a round rug typically looks best when placed in the centre of the room.
Round rugs in the bedroom
- Add a round rug on either side — If your bed is in the centre of the room, consider putting a round rug on either side so you can get out and step straight onto a cosy rug.
- Invest in a large rug — If your bed is the king of the space, consider opting for a large round rug and place it one-third of the way underneath.
Round rugs in the nursery/playroom/kids’ room
- Keep the rug small in the nursery — In the nursery, a small round rug is an adorable accent to the cot or a comfortable chair for feeding your baby. The cot or the chair should just overlap the edge of the rug.
- Go large in the playroom — Wherever your kids like to play, they need a rug that’s big enough to accommodate their toys, their books and the kids themselves. Give them lots of space to spread out and play.
Other places to display a rug
- The entrance to your home — a round rug can be very welcoming in the entryway of your home, especially if the entryway is very wide. Paired with a side table, you’ll have an inviting and stylish space to stash your keys or your bag when you get home.
- The bathroom — In a spacious bathroom, a round rug will complete the space and serve as a soft surface underfoot after bathing, showering or brushing your teeth.
- The breakfast nook — If you have a small space where you like to have breakfast (hopefully in the morning sun), a small round rug can add definition and interest to the space. The same can also be said for the sunroom (if you have one).
Styling ideas for a round rug
Tossing up between a few different rug types? Stylish interior decorating doesn’t always come naturally, especially if you’ve just moved into a new home or apartment and you’re still figuring out what theme works for you.
For a beachy, boho or minimalist theme, natural jute rugs will blend seamlessly into your interior design. Woven from eco-friendly, all-natural materials, these rugs are both sophisticated and functional — jute is hard-wearing for those high traffic areas like the living room, kitchen or dining room.
If you have dark timber floors and want your rug to be the focal point of the room, we recommend opting for vintage or light-coloured rugs like grey or white that contrasts with the floor colour. Our Harmony Hand Loomed Round Rug, for example, is available in stunning white and a natural beige, making it stand out from dark floors and furniture with ease. If you’d prefer something a little more muted, opt for the charcoal coloured design — whatever shade you choose, your space will look effortlessly stylish and your timber floors will be protected from scuffs and scratches.
For a pop of colour, we recommend our Polly Hand Braided Round Rug — a beautiful blend of chindi and natural jute, this rug is overflowing with colour and cheerful vibes. Matched with warm timbers and loads of indoor plants, you’ll feel right at home with this kaleidoscope-style rug. Alternatively, the Adobe Modern Rug boasts a multicoloured geometric design on a black base, perfect for contemporary, minimalist designs.
Want to make your home extra cosy? Opt for a round shag rug instead! We have shag rugs in every colour of the rainbow to match almost any space — plus, with a luxuriously high pile, you can dip your toes into your fluffy rug while watching TV or getting up in the morning in comfort and style. We recommend adding shag rugs to your bedroom — the cosiest room in your home.
At Rug.com.au, we have a range of rug designs in stock to suit any space. Browse through our selection — we’re confident we have the right rugs to complement your interior design.
FAQs about round rugs
- What are round rugs made of?
Most of our round rugs are designed with synthetic materials so that we can keep costs down for you! However, we also have a wide range of jute/sisal rugs and wool rugs in stock, so you can add the perfect texture and atmosphere to your home.
- How are round rugs woven?
A lot of our round rugs are power-loomed for a short, tight pile but we also have hand-loomed rugs, hand-tufted rugs, braided rugs and flatweave rugs available.
- How do I care for a round rug?
It depends on what material you choose for your rugs. Most rugs can be vacuumed to remove dirt and debris, although shag rugs can be harder to clean — you will need to put the vacuum cleaner on a high pile setting to ensure the long fibres don’t get stuck in the bristles. Most rug materials can also be spot cleaned using a damp cloth, even jute/sisal rugs — however, if they need a very deep clean, we recommend taking your rugs to a professional cleaner to ensure it stays intact.
- Are your rugs non-slip?
You have the option to add a non-slip pad to your rugs. This is especially important for homes with wooden floorboards or rooms with tile or linoleum — padless rugs can be a slip hazard, so we recommend opting for a non-slip pad while shopping with Rug.com.au.
- What size rug should I choose?
It depends on the size of the space and the sort of look you’re trying to achieve. We recommend measuring the space before you decide so you know for sure that your rug will fit. If you’re planning to place the rug under furniture e.g. a coffee table, opt for a larger rug.
- Do round rugs make a room look bigger?
Yes! Round rugs are the perfect solution for opening up a small room and making it feel bigger. The circular shape softens the hard edges of furniture and creates more defined spaces.
- Can I put a round rug in a square or rectangular space?
Of course! You can pair diverse shapes together to create interest — for example, you can place a round rug under a rectangular dining table, or vice versa. It all comes down to the look you’re trying to achieve.
- Do you have round rugs for kids' rooms?
Yes! We have Kids ABC Pencil Rugs to help your child learn their ABCs, Road Rugs where your child can race toy cars and rugs with fun, colourful characters to keep them company while they play. We recommend opting for large round rugs for playrooms so your child has lots of space for toys, books and friends or siblings. For a nursery, choose a smaller round rug that fits neatly under the cot or the rocking chair where you feed and nurse your baby.
- Can I put a rug in my bathroom?
You can put a rug in your bathroom but it really depends on what material you choose. For the bathroom, we recommend opting for rugs made from synthetic materials because they can handle splashes of water. Other materials like jute and wool are very absorbent and may become mouldy over time.
- How much rug space should there be around my dining room table?
As a rule of thumb, there should be 60 to 70cm of rug around your dining room table. This ensures the chair legs don’t get caught on the rug — they should be able to move freely to and from the table. The rug should sit directly under the dining table and be centred in the room to make the space feel balanced.
- Is there a way I can see what the rug will look like in my home?
Yes! Click on the “See this rug in your room” option on selected rug designs to upload a photo of your space e.g. your living room, breakfast nook etc. We’ll insert the rug design into your space in an instant, so you can get an idea of what it will look like and if it suits the space. Alternatively, you can view the rug in a number of pre-styled settings including dining room, fireplace, indoor-outdoor, living room and more. This makes it much easier to find the right rugs designed for your space!
- How much does delivery cost?
It depends on your location and the size of your order. We have a shipping calculator on all of our product pages, so you can enter your location and we’ll provide an instant quote. If your order is over $300, you’ll get shipping free!
- How long will it take for my rug to arrive?
Shipping times vary based on your location. Our shipping calculator will provide a quote and an ETA for you. Please be aware that over Christmas, the ETA could be delayed by an extra five business days as some warehouses, depots and courier companies close for the end of year break.
- Can the courier leave my order at my address?
You can give the courier authority to leave your order at your address by leaving a comment during the checkout process. However, we don’t recommend this — Rug.com.au and the courier company cannot be held liable for any loss or damage as a result of being given authority to leave. Instead, the courier can leave a calling card if you are not home to accept the delivery. You can pick up the order from your local post office, or there will be a number to reschedule the delivery.
- Can you deliver it to my PO box?
No, we cannot ship to PO box addresses because of signature requirements.
- Can I track my order?
Yes! You will receive tracking details via email so you can track your delivery.
- I’ve given you the wrong address/have moved since I put in my order! What do I do?
In the unlikely event that you’ve given us the wrong address or you’ve moved house since ordering your new rug and your order has already been shipped, you will need to notify the courier company directly. If this still results in delivery to the wrong address, we cannot be held liable for any loss or damage. If the order results in “return to sender” from the courier company, you can choose to redeliver your order at the right address. Alternatively, you can opt for a refund (minus the shipping cost) and order the rug again.
- Can I return my rug if it’s not quite right for the space?
Yes! We want all our customers to be happy with their new rugs from our collection. If you’ve accidentally bought a rug that’s too big or too small for the space, or doesn’t suit the colour scheme of your home, you have 30 days from the initial purchase to return the rug. Just send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org within 30 days and we will provide a return authorisation number.
Once we have received the returned items, we will issue a refund via store credit so you can find the right rug for your space.
If you like the rug design but it’s too big/too small for the space, you can also opt for an exchange. Again, email us at email@example.com, return the rug and we’ll issue a refund so you can buy the right sized rug. If you need a hand choosing the right rug size, measure the space and get in touch on 1800 784 368. Our friendly customer service team can provide some recommendations and advice for options in stock.
Shop round rugs online with Rug.com.au
A luxurious round rug can add instant style to your space — whether you choose a hard-wearing jute rug, a cosy shag rug or a traditional design made from synthetic materials. With hundreds of colours, patterns and sizes available, we’re confident you’ll find a stylish rug that blends seamlessly into your interior design.
Shop round rugs online today! We offer free shipping on orders over $300 and flexible payment options like Zippay and Afterpay, so you can start decorating now and pay later.