BUYING GUIDE: Rug - Tips on selecting the right rugs size for your living area
Choosing your rug depends on the size of your room. Rugs come in standard sizes that suit most of today’s interiors. Measure up your space before deciding on the rug size to ensure your rug is both balanced and functional in your space.
Small Rugs - Small rugs are usually from 150 x 80cm up to 170 x 120cm. Small rugs are great to highlight small pieces of furniture and liven up entrance areas, bedrooms and small living areas.
Medium Rugs - The standard size for a medium rug is 230 x 160cm. This size rug is a good choice for bedrooms, home offices and under coffee tables in living rooms.
Large Rugs - Large rooms generally require a large rug. The standard size for large a rug is 290x 200cm. Large rugs are great for living rooms, 6-8 seat dining settings, master bedrooms and rum-pus areas.
Extra Large Rugs - The standard size for an extra-large rug is 330 x 240cm. Extra-large size rugs are great for large living rooms, 8-10 seat dining settings, master bedrooms and large entertaining areas.
Tips on choosing your rug based on the living area.
Under the coffee tables
- Choose a rug that accommodates all four legs of the table.
- Make sure that it is big enough so you can walk around the table while being on the rug.
- Rugs should roughly be the length and width of the furniture within the space.
- If opting for a rug with a nice pattern, keep in mind that the furniture will hide a part of it.
- Choose a rug that extends beyond the chairs in the pulled-out position, as you would to sit down.
- Make sure that your rug is wider than your coffee table. A rug can define the lounge room space and be a link between two lounges.
- Balance the living area by leaving an equal amount of rug around the furniture grouping.
- If the rug touches the walls around the room it may look oversized.
- Don’t get a small size rug for large living areas. Use a rug to define the space and incorporate your furniture to anchor the rug.
- When choosing a patterned rug, remember that the bed may cover some or most of pattern.
- Allow for some space between the bed and the walls on both sides of the bed.
- Small rugs can be used effectively by placing on either or both sides of the bed.